Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 

The Blogocycle and Jamie's Hierarchy of Fortunes

What is it about blogs that make them so cyclical? Are there any psychological phenomenon that explain it?

I am a passionate person, and when something catches my interest I am a great evangelist. Blogs almost fit my normal pattern of interest - Learn -> Research -> Do -> Decline -> Ignore. The only thing is that I do come back after the "Ignore" phase eventually. Odd... Irrelevant trivia: my first blog post ever was on June 12th, 2003.

More irrelevant trivia: I am the official creator of the hierarchy of fortunes (of the cookie variety). Let me explain:

Tier 1 - Information
This tier lies at the base of the pyramid of fortune cookies. It is by far the most common type of fortune and particularly irritating to me.
As you can see, the information tier contains fortunes that tell you things... but nothing that you really need to know. If you need to know information about virtually anything, I would suggest a well-formed Google or Wikipedia search as a good starting point, and then a visit to the local library's reference desk for more information. Another theme in this category is to give you information about your personality or other attributes. In any case, I question the credibility and value of any source that contains high fructose corn syrup.

Tier 2 - Advice
Wondering how to live your life? Fortunes are happy to tell you in this tier. The middle tier is only slightly less prevalent than tier 1, meaning that advice fortunes are also relatively common in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks cookie! Now I don't need to buy that self-help book!

Tier 3 - Prediction
I don't know about you, but this is the type of fortune I most closely associate with the cookie. Ironic, then, that this tier is the rarest of all types of fortunes! Getting a tier 3 fortune is worthy of celebration, and if you are playing my drinking game you must take at least 5 shots if you get one of these.
Hope this guide has helped you identify that fortune. I was going to mock it up in Visio but I'm a lazy bastard. Fortunes courtesy of weirdfortunecookies.com.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?